Top 10 Leading Causes to Obesity
1. Genes: Genes can be your best friend or your worse enemy. Researchers have found that the GAD2 gene comes in two forms. One is linked stimulating the appetite leading to obesity, while the other is a protective from of the gene protects the person from obesity. Thats why genes is one of the most important factors leading to obesity.
2. Snacks: Snacks are a big problem to society. Most snacks are packed with calories and fat. Some times Non-fat foods have more calories then regular foods. Also snacks are inexpensive, making them even more addicting because of its cheap price.
3. Fast Food: Are mainly snacks, cheap, and full of calories and fat. The main problem about fast foods is they are everywhere!!! For example you could be driving and every few blocks you can find a fast food restaurant. It could be McDonalds, Jack in the Box, or Wendy’s but they are all bad for you.
4. Lack of Physical Activity: As new gaming systems come out more kids and teenagers are spending their time inside instead of being outside in the sun, playing basketball or football. Eating foods with large amounts of calories with no exercise cause the calories to build up and turn into fat.
5. Food has tremendous social meaning: Food has more meaning then you think. Sometimes people believe they won’t fit in if they eat different foods from the people around them. Also people use foods to numb out their feelings and the world.
6. Energy Imbalance: Energy imbalance the scale tips over to one side. Too many calories equal weight gain, and not enough calories means weight lost. Also if the amount of calories used and gained are equal nothing happens.
7. Larger Portion Sizes: Portion sizes have been on the rise. Larger portion sizes mean more calorie intake. More calorie intake with little to no exercises means that the amount of calories in the body is not used up contributing to fat.
8. Diseases and Drugs: Drugs and diseases have been linked to obesity. Steroids and antidepressants may cause weight gain. But the best thing to do if you suspect weight gain is to ask your doctor.
9. Negative Emotions: Negative emotions such as anger, sadness, boredom and depression have been linked to obesity. People usually start binge eating, eating large amounts of food at a time. Adding anger sadness and boredom to the problem they are most likely not going to leave the house to exercise so the calories just pile up and so does the fat.
10. Early Menarche: Researchers have found that early menarche is a factor of obesity. A survey found that overweight and obese rates were found higher in early maturing people. They have also found that maturing early doubles the chance of being obese.