Manila, Philippines ~ 1571
The University of the Philippines is another major historical edifice on the Philippine Islands. The city itself was founded in 1571 and contains many "historic buildings and ruins". The university was established in 1908 mainly by "an act of the First Philippine Legislature" also known as the university charter. Its purpose was to provide greater education in many subjects such as fine arts, philosophy, and science.
Initially the university started as three small colleges: the College of Fine Arts, the College of Liberal Arts, and the College of Medicine and Surgery, which only occupied a minimal amount of buildings. However, as years progressed, more programs of study were added to the curricula and the establishment of more colleges was necessary. Now "the University of the Philippines is composed of six constituent universities and one autonomous college" with over 36,000 students.
Throughout its years standing, the University of the Philippines building was not left untouched, especially after the war in 1945. Two of the buildings suffered intense damage and had to be restored. "UP President Bienvenido Gonzales immediately endeavored to restore the university to normal operations" and asked the United States for a grant of $13 million. It was granted to him and used to intensely rehabilitate and reconstruct the building. For a while "the rest of the colleges and administrative offices had to make do with temporary shelters" but eventually all of the colleges were renewed.