Mandalay, Burma ~ 1857 (restored in 1996)
Atumashi Kyaung, literally translated as the "incomparable monastery", was built in Mandalay by King Mindon in 1857, only a couple of years after Mandalay was claimed as the capital of Northern Burma. Originally, the monastery was constructed with wood and it was considered as "one of Southeast Asia’s most magnificent buildings" (Mandalay, Myanmar). It was a very unfortunate disaster when the whole building was scorched with fire and completely burned down in 1890, including a wooden statue of a Buddha that was decorated with diamonds (Mandalay: Le Monastere Atumashi).
The rebuilding of Atumashi Kyaung started more than a century after the fire, duplicating its original construction. It does not, however, matched the sophistication of the original, but it is still beautiful nonetheless. Every corner, every level, and every ornament are carved in detail. The walls and arched gates are covered with royal patterns; and there are rows of doors of several different sizes that are framed and outlined with traditional wooden art.