Newman High School is named after John Henry Cardinal Newman. John was born in London February 21, 1801. As a Vicar of St. Mary's Oxford, he played a heavy role in the spiritual influence of the Church of England. He joined the Catholic Church in 1845, and founded Oratories of St. Philip of Neri, Birmingham. In London he was the first rector of the Catholic University in Dublin. He was made Cardinal by Pope Leo XIII in 1879. His writings both published and private helped to create a greater understanding of the Catholic Church and it's teachings, and helped many people with their religious difficulties. He died in Birmingham on August 11, 1890. At his death he was praised for his prayerfulness, humility and his special contact with the spiritual world. He was declared Venerable on January 22, 1991.
John Henry Cardinal Newman information site
John Henry Cardinal Newman chronological event page (timeline)
John Henry Cardinal Newman biography
In 1975, St. Mary and St. James merged to enhance the quality of education of our schools around the Wausau area. The two parishes merged their two school to form a whole new school called St. Frances Middle School. Almost ten years after this took place planning began to merge all six Wausau elementary schools. By July, 1987, the committee became known as the Wausau Area Catholic Schools (WACS). Under the direction of the Diocese of La Crosse, WACS opened to the Wausau system in 1987-1988 school term and St. Matthew became the middle school. That year 1,359 enrolled at the WACS system. Currently eight area parishes support the Wausau Area Catholic Schools system. Information from WACS website.
WACS link to website
Newman High School Foundation
Newman High was founded in 1955 and has been the proud High School to thousands of students. Students at public high schools don't get to know everyone. But, at Newman, the classes are so small you get to know practically everyone in the school.