This is about survival in the forest. In Hatchet,
Brian had to learn most of these things by himself. Most of them the hard way.
* Take time to think, why you’re here and how you got here. Don’t
panic. You need to stay calm to stay alive.
* Look for a sturdy shelter. A nice over hang or ditch. It should be able to
withstand any fierce weather such as: rain, wind, storms, lightning, and some
* Avoid drinking caffeine if anything it dehydrates you. It could be bad for
your digestive system if you don’t have a lot of food. If you are prepared
with a pot try to cook the water and store somehow, just so you don’t
have to drink dirty fresh water.
* If it is hot, try to save fluids in the body. take it slow with your daily
activities. Stay in the shade so you don’t sweat.
* If it’s cold, make yourself comfortable. Try to stay as warm as possible.
You could make a warm bed, gather leafs and pine needles.
* When you’re in the wilderness, try to protect yourself with a tool or
weapon. Just like Brian in Hatchet. A sharpened stick or club would work.
* Know everything you have. All your food, tools, clothes, etc. everything you
have may come in handy, you never know.
* Plan ahead. Always know what you have to do so you don’t have to start
all over, making a fire is a good example.
* Try to get help any way possible. Make a signal. Try to show around your environment
that you were there.
* Always think of positive things. This is good for two reasons, you might get
your self esteem down and give up all hope. Or, fear might become over you.
* Always have extra things clean water and food. In the wilderness you never
know what’ going to happen.
* To make fire, find some type of glass or shiny rocks. With the glass, put
in the sun, while holding it, make a pile of grass and dry birch wood. Concentrate
the light on the pile of leaves and wood until a flame arises. With two rocks
of the same kind, smack them together, if sparks don’t erupt try different
types of rocks until you get sparks. When you do, aim the sparks down on the
pile of leaves and wood eventually you might get fire. These are the easy ways
to get fire. If you can carry matches, use them wisely.
* In the wilderness, take you time and look at the scenery.
* Keeping you self healthy with first aid can be difficult. You may not have
the right supplies or knowledge. If you have a stab wound always apply pressure.
Infections can be dangerous or even deadly. If you have a wound, find some sort
of cloth and tie it on tightly on the wound. Try to make it as clean as possible.
If you have a first aid pack, use it wisely.