2. Russian whalers and fur traders
on Kodiak Island
established the first settlement in Alaska in 1748.
3. In 1868 William H. Seward, the
Secretary offered Russia $7,200,000, or two cents per
acre, for Alaska.
4. Rhode Island can fit into Alaska 425 times.
On January 3, 1959 Alaska became 49th state in the
6. Alaska's costline is over 6,600 miles.
7. The states motto is North to the Future.
8. The official gemstone of Alaska is jade.
9. Alaska is offend called America's last Frontier
The word Alaska is based on the Eskimo word
Alakshak meaning great lands or peninsula.
The state flower is the forget-me-not. The flower
was adopted in 1917.
12. Anchorage is the largest city in Alaska.
13. Mount Augustine erupted near Anchorage in 1986.
14.In 1968 gold was made the official state mineral.
Go here to see Alaska's sate flag.
Back to Alaska Home Page