East Charity Shoal
Out in the middle of nowhere of Lake Ontario is East Charity Shoal Lighthouse. It sits upon a pile of rocks and is not even classified as an island, but rather a shoal. The lighthouse structure was originally built in Vermillion, Ohio in 1877. After a severe ice storm in 1929 that damaged the structure, it was taken down and shipped to Buffalo, New York. In 1935 the tower was restored and rebuilt out on East Charity Shoal, about six miles south of Cape Vincent, New York. The lighthouse is still in use today, helping ships navigate Lake Ontario, and can be seen on a clear day with the help of a telescope from Cape Vincent, New York.
Back to more LighthousesBack to Islanders' Homepage