The Braddock Point Lighthouse was built in 1896. The original tower was 97 feet tall, making it visible from 18 miles away. There were originally 110 stairs. The light was fueled by oil, which had to be filled twice a day by hand. The lighthouse keeper had to carry 2 cans of oil up the tower every day to keep the light burning. In January 1954, the lighthouse was taken out of service. Soon after, parts of the tower had to be taken down because they were in such bad shape. Luckily in 1957, a couple bought the property and began to restore the buildings. Today it remains privately owned and much of it has been restored.
Back to more Lighthouses
Back to Islanders' Homepage