Charlotte- Geneses Lighthouse The Charlotte- Geneses Lighthouse is located in Rochester New York. It was built in 1822 and replaced in 1865 by the government. The government purchased three and a half acres of land from Mehilabel Hincher, who’s husband built a log cabin there in 1792. The lighthouse was moved away from the river in 1863 by the government. The government owns the lighthouse. Charlotte High School saved the lighthouse because they wrote letters because their school was built based on the lighthouse. The lighthouse is now open on weekends.