A tessellation is a group of shapes that will fit together with no spaces or gaps. Tessellations can be made out of regular shapes, which include triangles, squares and hexagons.
Tessellations are shapes that
are able to fit together like
Tessellations can also be made of more complex shapes that can make the designs more exciting.
M.C. Escher was a master of these amazing shapes and designs. There are many examples of his works on this web page. Many are wonderful tessellations.
You can make your own tessellation with the help of these directions.
You Will Need
shapes of triangles, squares and hexagons
(Make sure your shapes have equal sides and will fit together.)
1 piece of white piece of paper
Crayons, markers, or any way you would like to color your design
1. Take your different shapes and choose a triangle, square or hexagon.
2. Next, place your shape on the white piece of paper and trace it like the image.
3. Trace the shape over and over
on the white paper. Then color your picture with bright colors.
You Will Need
1 white rectangular or square pieces of paper
1 colored rectangular or square pieces of paper
1. Take the piece of colored paper and cut it down the center like the image.
2. Tape one side of the piece of
paper to the opposite side of the paper.
3. Next, turn the paper. Cut the piece of paper on the flat side and tape it on the opposite side of the paper.
4. Take the 2nd piece of paper and trace the design
on the piece of paper that is not cut. Keep tracing the design on the piece
of paper until it is covered. It will look a lot like my background! Color
your design with any colors you like. Now your an expert on tessellations!!