Return S&W History
The blue markers highlight the architectural elements of the building.
A key below the picture explains each marker.
Romantic/Art Deco Elements of S & W Cafeteria
- Ornamentation, such as the use of geometric patterns: chevrons, zigzags
straight lines or curvilinear forms.
- Exterior walls made from smooth materials ranging from concrete to
limestone with veneers and accents in terra cotta, aluminum or stone.
- Polychromatic colors in subdued pastels or combinations such as black
& gold .
- Roofs are predominately flat buy may include terraces or dramatic spires.
- Expansive display windows placed at ground level in stores or other
- Dramatic doorways or entrance surrounded by elaborate ornamentation.
- Ornamental sculptures integrated into the building , usually in the form
of low-relief stone panels that can feature allegorical figures or
contrasting colors and textures.
of Art Deco terms