First Baptist Church - Asheville, NC
Return to Home |
Return First Baptist Church History
The blue markers highlight the architectural elements of the building.
A key below the picture explains each marker.
Romantic /Art Deco Style of the First Baptist church
- Towers as part of the overall form or crowning
- Ornamentation, such as the use of geometric
patterns: chevrons, zigzags, straight lines or curvilinear forms.
- Exterior walls made from smooth materials
ranging from concrete to limestone with veneers and accents in terra cotta,
aluminum or stone.
- Polychromatic colors in subdued pastels or
combinations such as black and gold.
- Roofs are predominately flat buy may include
terraces or dramatic spires.
- Windows are composed in vertical bays or
horizontal bands with occasional ornamental windows in geometric shapes.
- Dramatic doorways or entrance surrounded by
- Ornamental sculptures integrated into the building, usually in the form
of low-relief stone panels that can feature allegorical figures or
contrasting colors and texture.
of Art Deco terms