City Building of Asheville, NC
Return to Home |
Return to City Building History
The blue markers highlight the architectural elements of the building.
A key below the picture explains each marker.
Romantic / Art Deco Elements of the City Building
- Setbacks that create a ziggurat iconography.
- Towers as part of the overall form or crowning element.
- Ornamentation, such as the use of geometric patterns: chevrons, zigzags,
straight lines or curvilinear forms.
- Exterior walls made from smooth materials ranging from concrete to
limestone with veneers and accents in terra cotta, aluminum or stone.
- Polychromatic colors in subdued pastels or combinations such as black and
- Roofs are predominately flat buy may include terraces or dramatic spires.
- Parapets, low protective or decorative wall extensions that are placed
along roof edges, often as a site for projecting elements.
- Windows are composed in vertical bays or horizontal bands with occasional
ornamental windows in geometric shapes.
- Dramatic doorways or entrance surrounded by elaborate ornamentation.
- Ornamental sculptures integrated into the building, usually in the form of
low-relief stone panels that can feature allegorical figures or contrasting
colors and textures.
Dictionary of Art Deco terms