The emperor Shih Duang Ti had united the different parts of the country into one China in about 214 B.C. He ordered the existing sections of wall to be connected to from one long wall as a protection against invading homeless or wandering, tribes from the north. The nomads was especially concerned about were the living. Sometimes thought to before bears of the Huns. Since that time it has been extended rebuilt many times, and destroyed in part. But it still stands and has become one of the major tourist attractions in the world. The wall is simple in structure. It is built of dirt, stone, and brick. Its height ranges from 15 to 30 feet (5 to 9 meters ) with intervals above it. It is 15 to 25 feet (5 to 8 meters wide ). Along the top runs a "B" foot ( 4 meters ) wide road way. Behind the wall there are " t " intervals permanent camp for troops. The wall's use as a guard barrier ended in 1664 with the collapse of the Ming Dynasty, Parts of the The century parts were rebuilt new visitors site was opened at Mutianyn, northeast to Beijing in 1985. It shares the tourist traffic that was previously concentrated at Badaling, northwest of the city.