1. Q: Why do diabetics give themselves shots?
A: They give themselves shots of insulin because the pancreas doesnít produce insulin. If they donít get shots they will get really sick.
2. Q: Donít shots hurt?
A: It shouldnít if you do it right. It feels just like a pinch. Giving shots doesnít hurt but for the first month or two they arenít fun. Just remember, donít play with needles and never handle or use a dirty needle.
3. Q: There is a new girl in my class and she has diabetes. She is always by herself at recess. I want to play with her but I donít want to catch diabetes. What should I do?
A: First of all diabetes IS NOT catchy. Second of all having diabetes sometimes makes it hard to fit in. The best thing to do is be a friend with the girl. She must be lonely. Almost everyone knows what its like to be lonely, whether or not you have diabetes.
5. Q: Is there a cure for diabetes?
A: No, there is no cure, but diabetes is manageable. Diabetes is all about balance. By taking shots, testing blood sugars, eating a balanced diet, and exercising you can live a healthy life. Diabetes does not make someone different. They still have likes and dislikes. They still have fun and troubles. They still have a life.
6. Q: Why is exercise so important?
A: Exercise is important for anyone. It helps you master blood sugar control.
7. Q: How do you get diabetes?
A: Some people think you get diabetes by eating candy and drinking soda, but that is not true. You donít get diabetes from what you eat or drink.