|What is coastal erosion||Where is it happening||What can we do to help|
Math Word Problems
1. Your favorite beach is pounded by waves 3 times a day and your beach is 200 miles long. The waves take away 36 miles. How many miles does your favorite beach still have?
2. If the average annual loss to property owners along the coast is $50 million a year, and six and one half years have passed, how much money would they have lost?
A. $425 million
B. $150 million
C. $325 million
D. $200 million
3. Tourism was a big source of income for many shoreline states in 1997. Tourism brought in $185 billion dollars to local towns. Supposed the tourist quit coming and your income is cut by a fifth. How much tourism money would they have left?
4. If the Gulf of Mexico coastline is reduced by six feet per year and your beach is 5,267 feet long, by the time 36 months have past, how of your beach is left?
5. Using the Breaux Act, almost 100,000 acres of coastal wetlands are being protected by conservationists. If they only protected half of the coastal wetlands how much would they be protecting?
6. If you lived on an island 24 miles long and the waves eroded 1/3 of the land, in two years then how much land would be left?
7. If the land had eroded 2 miles yearly but conservation efforts added 8miles a year, what is the average of land gained?
8. If your land had eroded 50 miles and conservation efforts brought back 5 miles per month, how many months would it take get full amount of land back?
9. Suppose your land was 125 miles long and it was eroded 25 miles every 20 years, then how much land would you have after 60 years?
10. Suppose you had land 50 miles long and you lost 1/2 of that land. If conservation efforts got back 5 miles every year, how many years would it take to get back the full amount of land you started with?
A. 5 years
B. 90 years
C. 7 years
D. 70 years
Click here to link to Math Word Problems Answer Page
E-mail us your coastal erosion math word problems so we can add them to our site!
|Math word problems & erosion||Guest Book||"Test your knowledge"|
|Word scramble||See the movie||Crossword puzzle|
|Site map||All About Us||Home||Feed back||Bibliography|