Chapters 9 and 10
1. What did Timothy do with the rope he made?
- tied the raft to a palm tree
- stretched it between the hut and the beach for Phillip to follow
- wove it into hammocks
2. What work did Timothy want Phillip to do?
- weave mats
- cook the meals
- look for water
- keep the fires burning
3. Why did Timothy hit Phillip?
- Phillip untied the raft and let it drift out to sea.
- Phillip ran away from the hut.
- Phillip threw the palm fibers at Timothy then yelled at him calling Timothy an ugly black man that cant even spell.
4. Phillip began to change the day Timothy hit him. How did he change?
- Phillip started hating Timothy.
- Phillip thought black people were ugly and stupid.
- Phillip wanted Timothy to be his friend.
5. Why was Timothy and Phillip glad when it started raining?
- They needed baths.
- They needed drinking water.
- The island was dry and Timothy was afraid the fire would spread.
6. What fun did Timothy have as a young man?
- going to school
- dressing up for the carnival
- getting birthday presents
7. How did Phillip begin to feel about black people after his talk with Timothy?
- color didnt matter
- black and white people should not live together
8. What did Timothy and Phillip eat?
- what they could catch from the sea
- fruit that grew on the island
- wild boar
9. What food was on the island that Timothy and Phillip could not eat?
Return to The Cay Index