back to activities page
A sedimentator tube shows the different layers of soil and the way is settles in water. You can easily make one to show the make-up of your soil sample.
a soil sample, about 1 cup
a straight sided clear plastic container (at least 2 cup) with a lid
3/4 cup of water
1) Sift your soil and get rid of rocks and lumps of organic material.
2) Get one cup of the soil you sifted and put it in a straight sided clear container.
3) Add the water water and put the lid on tight.
4) Shake jar for a minute to mix.
5) Set your jar on a flat surface. Let it settle and measure the different layers that you see.
6) Record your measurements
7) Send us your results (See the Visitors' Page)