- 1941 - Japan attacks Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. During an early morning air attack Japan sinks many U.S. ships and kills thousands of soldiers. The United States immediately declares war on Japan.
- 1941 - Japan takes over an controls many of the major islands in the Philippines.
- 1942 - Battle of the Coral Sea. A major naval and air battle between the United States and Japan which is important because it stops Japan from moving farther south and getting closer to Australia.
- 1942 - Battle of Midway. A major naval battle won by the United States that stops Japan from capturing the Midway Islands and attempting to capture Hawaii. This victory gives the United States a big advantage over Japan in sea power for the rest of the war.
- 1944 - Battle of the Philippine Sea. A major naval victory over Japan. They lose their two largest aircraft carriers and 219 out of their 326 airplanes.
- 1945 - Battle of Iwo Jima. One of the most costly fights of the war because 6800 Americans died. This victory let the U.S. begin to land airplanes on this island and help us bomb Japan.
- 1945 - Japanese Kamikaze pilots attack and sink U.S. ships. The end was near for Japan but no one thought they would take such desperate measures like this.
- 1945 - The United States explodes atomic bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki causing over 200,000 deaths. Japan surrenders a week later.
If you would like to discuss or comment on specific events of the war, post your messages to share with others.
To European Theater
To World War II Home Page
To Battles and Events