1. Who was the first European explorer to sail down the Mississippi River from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico?
Rene-Robert Cavelier de La Salle
2. Which Spanish conquistador conquered the Inca?
3. Who led the first expedition around the world?
4. Who was the first European to explore the mainland of North America after the Vikings?
5. Which of the following explorers did NOT find the landmark that he was searching for?
Juan Ponce de Leon
6. Who sponsored expeditions that allowed the Portuguese to discover the equator?
Prince Henry the Navigator
7. Who did Hernando Cortez conquer?
The Aztec Empire
8. Balboa was the first European to see what ocean from its eastern shore?
9. Who was the first Englishman to sail around the world?
Sir Francis Drake
10. What landmark did Francisco Vasquez de Coronado find?
11. What two continents were named after Amerigo Vespucci?
North America and South America
12. What did Europeans want that made them explore?
Spices, gold, and silver
Who Goes There: European Exploration of the New World