Using the questions below you can interview your family and friends about what their elementary school was like. You can use tape recorders so you can hear them answer the questions. This is also something you could put in your own personal time capsule to remember someone you love.
1. When and where did you attend elementary school?
2. Which grades were offered in your elementary school? What were the hours (when did you start and when were you dismissed)?
3. How did children get to and from school? (walking, school bus, city bus, etc.)?
4. How did girls and boys dress for school?
5. Approximately how many children were in each class? Did you have the same teacher all through elementary school or a different one each year? Did your school have combination classes?
6. Tell me about how the children were disciplined. (time out, dunce cap, staying after school, sent to the principal, etc.) Tell me about your principal; did he or she mix in with the students?
7. Which subjects were taught?
8. Did you get to go on any field trips? Did the classroom have any pets?
9. What kind of writing materials did you use?
10. What did the school building, classrooms and desks look like? Did you have as much stuff up on the wall as we do?
11. Did you have textbooks? What were they like?
12. What was the grading system for your report cards?
13. Did you have homework? Did you have to do projects like we do at home?
14. How were the parents involved in school?
15. How were children with disabilities treated?
16. What were your lunches like? (Was there a cafeteria? What did children pack for lunch?)
17. What did you play at recess time?
18. What is your worst memory of elementary school? What is your fondest memory?