Taking Care of Your Instrument
Taking care of your instrument is very important.
There are ten steps to cleaning your instrument.
1. Fill up a bathtub with almost warm water to the
height of the trombone.
2. Add a small bit of dishwashing detergent.
3. Take the trombone apart, including the slides.
4. Put the trombone in the water and leave it there
for about ten minutes.
5. Run cleaning utensil, with a bit of Kleenex,
through the tubing and mouthpiece.
6. Rinse all of the dishwashing detergent out of
7. Dry the entire trombone.
8. Place some slide oil on slide and tuning side
grease on the tuning slide.
9. Oil the F-attachment if it applies to it.
10. Put the trombone back together.
Do NOT use extremely hot water when cleaning your
instrument. It will take off the plating of your trombone and ruin
How much you clean your instrument depends on how
much you play it. If you play all the time you need to clean your
instrument every two weeks. If you only play it every once in a while,
wash it every month.