Cures for Hiccups:
1. Hold your breath for as long as possible.
2. Drink water upside down.
3. You get a Q-tip and tickle the back of your throat.
4. Ignore the hiccups.
5. Have someone hold your ears while you drink water.
6. Take deep breaths.
7. Have someone scare you.
Cures for Warts
1. Pop it and let the blood run down.
2. You rub a penny on it, and put the penny at the crossroads.
3. Touch the wart to a dead body.
4. Let an ant crawl around on it. Then kill the ant.
5. Put lemon juice or a lime, or maybe sour milk on it.
Cures for Bruises
1. As soon as you get a bruise, you rub it really hard and it will disappear.
2. Take a steak and put it on the bruise.
Cures for Bee (or Wasp or Jellyfish) Stings
1. Put meat tenderizer on the sting.
2. Put alcohol and a Band-Aid on it.
3. Put ice on it.
4. Don't go near bees!
5. Put honey and ice on a wasp sting
6. Cover your body with petroleum jelly to prevent jellyfish stings.
Cures for Bad Luck
1. Burp a baby. Let the baby spit up on you.
2. Find a penny with the head facing up.
1. To get rid of lice, soak your hair in kerosene
2. To get gum out of your hair put peanut butter, and ice in it.
3. Lemon juice will make your hair look lighter.
4. Let your hair dry naturally, and it will look better, and fresher.
Cures for Headaches
1. Eat Peanut Butter.
2. Turn down the lights.
3. Make your little brothers and little sisters be quiet!
4. Drink lots of water
Cures for Sore Throats
1. Gargling vinegar
2. Gargling warm salt water
3. Crush an aspirin and mix it with warm water
Old Wives Tales are sayings that seem like they take the fun out of life. Such as: Wait 30 minutes after eating, before you swim.
1. Don't swallow gum because the gum might tie your stomach up in a knot.
2. Don't suck your thumb because it might give you buck teeth.
3. You should cut your toenails in a V to prevent ingrown toenails.
4. Sitting in front of the T.V will make you blind.
5. Don't read in the dark because it can ruin your eyes.
6. If you wear lipstick to long, you will get a pimple on your nose.
7. If you lick your feet you'll get Athlete's Tongue.
8. If you push your cuticles back everyday you can train them (which means that you can get them to stay back).
9. When you shave the hairs they will come back rough.
10. You have to sit straight in a chair or else you become hunchback.
11. Don't wear your boots all winter or you'll get sick.
12. You have to stay under the covers or you'll get sicker
Back to folklore Main page
Go to Superstitions