· 1887- Edison researches motion pictures.
· 1889- Edison announced his kinetoscope which projected 50 ft long film in approximately 13 seconds.
· 1906- J. Stuart Blackton made the first animated film called Humorous Phases of Funny Faces.
· 1909- Winsor McCay produced an animation sequence using his comic strip character Gertie the Trained Dinosaur consisting of 10,000 drawings.
· 1923- Walt Disney combined live action with cartoon characters in Alices Wonderland.
· 1927- Warner Brothers released The Jazz Singer which introduced combined sound and images.
· 1945- Harry Smith produced animation by drawing directly onto film.
· 1964- Ken Knowlton started developing computer techniques for producing animated movies.
· 1965- First computer animation language (BEFLIX) is developed by Ken Knowlton.
· 1966- Ralph Baer develops first home video game.
· 1973- Westworld debuts as the first significant entertainment film that employed computer animation.
· 1976- Jim Blenn introduces environmental mapping.
· 1982- Tron is released by Disney containing 15 minutes and 235 scenes of computer generated images.
· 1986- Pixar is bought from Lucasfilm by Steve Jobs.
· 1989- Tin Toy wins Academy Award for best animated short film.