Established: September 17, 1804
By: Father Estevan Tapis
Order: 19th of the 21 missions
Location: 35 miles north of Santa Barbara
Named For: Saint Agnes
Interesting fact: The church is cemented with lime made from seashells.
On September 17,1804 Santa Inés became the 19th mission. It was the only mission by Fray Tapis. They built Santa Inés between Santa Barbara and San Luis for two reasons the first reason was because they wanted to fit the 27 Christian families in between of Santa Barbara and San Luis. Those families wanted to be a part of a mission. The Spanish also built Santa Inés there because the land supplied wood to build, good soil to grow crops, and plenty of fresh water for drinking. Every thing a mission needed was right here. The Spanish dedicated the mission Santa Inés to a girl who lived in the 4th century Rome. The girls name was Saint Agnes. Mission Santa Inés. Mission Santa Inés was going on from 1804, and it stopped running in 1832. It was running for two years.
Mission Santa Inés was one of the prettiest missions to me. The dimensions of the church in Santa Inés are 139 feet long, 26 feet long and 29 feet high. The beautiful church was made of adobe bricks scented with lime made of seashells, tile roof, and tile floor. The mission had three bells one was on the top the other two were bellow it. Not a lot of missions have their bells like mission Santa Inés has it. Santa Inés has a pond, a patio, and everything and everything a mission needs. Santa Ineé is a kind of pinkish peachy color on the outside. There's a marvelous patio that has a fountain in the middle of it. There's a magnificent workshop that has a fountain in the middle of it. The church walls are 566 feet thick with buttresses.
The ending of mission Santa Inés. When mission Santa Inés started it was in 1804 then it ended 1832 it was in used for 28 years. Today mission Santa Inés is an active church. The church is served by Capuchin Franciscan Fathers. In 1812 an earthquake destroyed the church it severely damaged other buildings. When the earthquake hit it, and damaged some buildings people still lived there. A family lived on the on the part that wasn't burned. In 1904 father Alexander did a 20-year cleanup for the mission Santa Inés. Father Alexander rebuilt mission Santa Ins campanario which collapsed in´1911. He built the campanario in a very different form.