Established: October 9, 1776
By: Father Francisca Palóu
Order: 6th of the 21 missions
Location: On San Francisco Bay
Named For: Saint Francis de Assisi
Interesting Fact: The mission is distinguished by the redwood used in the interior, the ceiling beams painted in brightly painted native designs, and the wooden columns painted to look like marble.
Mission Dolores is also known as Mission San Francisco de Asis. It was built in 1776 by Father Francisco Palóu near the San Francisco Bay. The name comes from St. Francis of Assisi the founder of the Franciscan Order. It was the 6th mission.
The church of Mission Dolores is the oldest standing building in San Franisco. It is 114 ft. long and 22 ft. wide and was made with adobe bricks. There is no bell tower, but there are three bells hung in the loft above the entrance. The mission is also special because of its use of redwood in the interior. The mission was built in a typical quadrange shape around a patio. The living qurters, storerooms, and workshops were also around the patio.This mission did not have good soil for planting crops, so it did not become as properous as the other missions. Instead, the missionaries traded with the Spanish and English ships that came into the bay.
Unfortunately, the buildings around the mission disappeared over the years. However, the church was luckily not destroyed by the 1906 earthquake. If you go there today, it is very similar to what it was back when the Spaniards were here.