What you'll need-
1 water bottle (plastic type that you can throw away or cut)
lots of strips of newspaper
paper mache mix (can be made by mixing together water and glue)
red food coloring (optional)
What to do-
2. Tape the water bottle with the open side up to the soda box bottom, so the soda box should be upside down.
3. Crumple up lots of pieces of newspaper into balls but do not make the balls really tight. In fact, the balls should not be tight at all.
4. Put all of the crumpled pieces of paper around the water bottle and tape them to the soda box and the water bottle . You should make so it looks like it slopes in the front and back. Don't worry, because when you finish this it will look pretty bad. The key is imperfection, because there is no such thing as a perfect mountain or volcano!!!! If you don't tape it down really tight, it will look more textured and like a real mountain.
5. After it's all taped up, it's time to use the paper mache!!!!
6. Take a strip of newspaper and dip it all the way in the paper mache mix so it is completely covered with paper mache mix.
7. Put your pointer finger in the front of the strip on the top, and your thumb behind it. Pinch and slide your two fingers all the way down to the bottom of the strip top get off all the excess paper mache mix.
8. Put the very end of the newspaper strip at the very top of your volcano and make the rest of it go all the way down the volcano and if there is more, flat on the soda box. It should be touching the volcano all the way down the volcano.
9. Do this all the way around the volcano and on and make sure you cover all of the first newspaper. When you finish this, it should look somewhat like volcano.
10. Leave the paper mache to dry over night, and the next day if you want you can paint your volcano.
11. To make it look like lava, you can do red streaks going down the volcano.
12. You can make the lava look 3-D by taking a fabric paint and squeezing it slowly all the way down the volcano.
13. Now you are ready to erupt your volcano!!! Take the baking soda and pour it into the water bottle. Fill it up about a fourth of the way up.
14. Add a little bit of the food coloring into the glass of vinegar. Now you need pour the vinegar in.
15. Stand back, because an eruption of fizzing baking soda and vinegar will occur!!!!!