Jackson Square is the very heart of the French Quarter. It is not only the heart of the French Quarter, it is the heart of New Orleans. It used to be named Plaza d' Armes. It was used sometimes as military parade grounds for public hangings. It was renamed in 1851 as Jackson Square. The Baroness Pontalba built Jackson Square. In 1815 the Baroness built a fence around Jackson Square and it is still there. There are other important places all around Jackson Square like the St. Louis Cathedral, and the Cabildo and Presbytere museums, and on the outside of Jackson Square is the Pontalba apartments.
In the middle of Jackson Square there is a statue of Andrew Jackson who is the hero of the War of 1812. His statue is of him on a horse up on its hind legs. It is made out of bronze. Andrew Jackson's Statue is the first equestrian statue where the horse had more than one foot off the base. Andrew Jackson was the seventh president of the United States. He was also the General at the Battle of New Orleans during the War of1812.
For years Jackson Square has been used as a place for artists to display their work. At times there are up to 300 or more people there. The gardens are great places for artists to display their work and paint and draw portraits.