The Cabildo was built in 1769 by the country of Spain. It was built in the city of New Orleans, Louisiana. It was used like a courthouse. It was where the new Spanish laws were made. Now and since 1911 it is a Louisiana State Museum.
The building itself is three stories high. It has ten rooms. It is right next to the St Louis Cathedral, and on the other side of that is the Presbytere. All of these buildings are behind Jackson Square located in the historical French Quarter. The Cabildo burned down in 1788. It was rebuilt in 1795-1799. In 1988 there was another fire. It was closed for the next five years. It reopened in 1994 and focused on Louisiana's early history.
The Cabildo today is full of neat and cool exhibits. It has paintings, models, swords, and information about the building's past and future. There is an exhibit about the Battle of New Orleans with uniforms and weapons used during the war. There is also a gallery on the second floor with all the different flags that have flown over Louisiana. There are many antiques and very old pottery and china. A very impressive exhibit is the glass case with the death mask of Napoleon with other items that are said to belong to him.
INTERESTING FACTS: General Lafayette, a hero in the American Revolution, stayed at the Cabildo. The Cabildo is a national landmark. It was where the Louisiana Purchase was signed. The Cabildo was once used as the Louisiana Supreme Court. It was also used as a jail during part of its history.