Did you know...?
- The presidents on the carving are Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt.
- Mount Rushmore is located in Sioux, South Dakota on the Black Hills.
- The carving was started on October 4, 1927.
- The carving was finished on October 31, 1941 after 14 years of work.
- Gutzon Borglum designed and supervised the carving, but he died before its completion. His son, Lincoln, completed the project.
- Mount Rushmore was carved because Borglum wanted a sculpture of four presidents that would remind the nation of the birth, preservation, and development of this country.
- Doane Robinson had the idea of carving four Presidents on stone.
- The granite was carved with drills and dynamite.
Gutzon Borglum, the sculptor of Mount Rushmore, was also the sculptor of Stone Mountain, the biggest high-relief carving in the world.
Photo found: http://www.historyplace.com/specials/calendar/docs-pix/oct-rushmore.htm