The Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower Intro. Eiffel Tower Facts Gustave Eiffel Games Quiz
Bibliography Back to Home
* The Eiffel tower is one of the most fantastic structures ever constructed. Even today it is visited by people from around the world. As a matter of fact, approximately 200 million people have come to see the Eiffel Tower. It is the most famous building in all of Paris I present to you... The Eiffel Tower!
The Eiffel Tower
* The Eiffel tower was created 1887-1889 by Alexandre Gustave Eiffel. The month of the completion of the Eiffel tower is March 28, 89. It took 2 years 2 months and 5 days to complete it.
* Only one worker was killed in building the Eiffel Tower.
* It was created to celebrate the anniversary of the French revolution.
*After the celebration it was saved from being demolished by being turned into a radio transmitter. As it has gotten older pavilions, an elevator, and other structures on the first and second floor. They have also added covers to protect people from rain.
*It is made of 9441 tons of steel. A total of 984 ft. ( 324 m) tall and has 18038 individual pieces. The iron used to make the Eiffel tower was made at the factories of Mr. Dupont and Mr. Fould.
* It is made of 4 base legs that are 80 meters apart from each other and are each 50 meters above the ground.
* The Eiffel tower has been painted 6 different colors in its history. All of the different colors were shades of brown. It takes 50 tons of paint to paint the Eiffel tower.
*A total of 50 engineers made 5300 blueprints. 121 workers worked at the construction site to build it.
* Alexandre Gustave Eiffel was born in Dijon, France in December 15, 1832. He was the creator of the Eiffel tower.
* Alexandre went to school at Ecole Centrale des Arts et Manufactures.
* Together Gustave, Maurice Koechlin, Emile Nouguier and Stephen Sauvestre worked on the Eiffel Tower. Maurice and Emile were the main engineers, Stephen was the major decorator and of course Mr. Eiffel was the main architect.
* Also in 1885 he did work on the internal body of the Statue of Liberty. him, Auguste Bartholdi and Richard M. Hunt were the main engineers. Gustave even did some work on the famous Notre Dame.
* After the tower was built Gustave was given the Legion of Honneur. A great award for constructing the monstrous tower.
*Sadly Gustave died in December 27, 1923 in his mansion in Paris.
1. www.tour-eiffel.fr/ Last visited March 2002
2. www.teachingtools.com/slinky/eiffel.html Last visited Feb. 2002
3. Caselli, Giovanni Wonders of The World. Dk publishing 1998, London
4. Clip Art
Punch the tickets as fast as you can. Hit as many as possible before the time runs out. I guess it's harder to work at the Eiffel tower than you thought
Try and put the Eiffel tower back together again before the time runs out! Tick-Tock!
Find The Pair
Find the pair of Eiffel tower Tickets that match. Try to do it in the least clicks possible.
Take an Eiffel Tower Quiz
Test your knowledge in a 3 question test. See how much you really know.
Machu Picchu Great Wall of China Ancient Architecture Great Pyramids Games