Where the Red Fern Grows Chapter I - VII
1. What happened in the first "scene" of the book?
a) family picnic
b) pet store visit
c) dog fight
d) dog show
2. How did the man help the dog?
a) cleaned his wounds
b) took him to the vet
c) bathed and fed him
d) stitched up the cut in his side
3. What did Papa give Billy in place of the coon dogs he wished for?
b) sling shot
4. What did Billy keep catching in his traps?
b) the neighbors dog
c) the family cat
5. Where did Billy's family live?
a) foothills of the Ozark Mountains
b) Appalachian Mountains
6. What does Billy see in a magazine?
a) ad for a hunting rifle
b) ad for a new type of trap
c) ad for coon hounds
d) ad for camping equipment
7. How was Billy going to earn money to buy the pups?
a) selling vegetables, berries, and minnows
b) delivering groceries
c) collecting bottles
d) working for his grandfather in his store
8. How long did Billy save his money before he had enough to buy the dogs?
a) 4 years
b) 1 year
c) 2 years
d) 6 months
9. Why does Grandpa and Billy decide NOT to tell Papa about Billy buying the pups?
a) Papa would make Billy share the money with his sisters.
b) Papa thinks Billy is too young for coon hunting.
c) Papa is trying to save money to buy a mule.
d) Papa would not allow Billy to have a pet.
10. What gifts did Billy buy for his family?
a) overall, cloth, and candy
b) books, soda pop, and an ax
11. What good news did Billy learn about the pups?
a) Billy could get the pups immediately without a wait.
b) Billy could have two boy pups.
c) The owner would deliver them to his home.
d) The price had come down.
12. Where did Billy go to pick up his pups?
a) general store
b) railroad station
c) post office
13. How was Billy going to carry the pups home?
a) in a wagon
b) in a gunny sack
c) in a back pack
d) inside his coat
14. Why does Billy get into a fight in town?
a) One boy in the gang punches Billy for no reason.
b) The boys call Billy a hillbilly.
c) The leader of the gang jumps Billy.
d) The leader of the gang pulls the ears of Billy's pup.
15. What noise frightened Billy during the night?
a) mountain lion
d) timber wolf
16. Where did Billy get the idea for naming his pups?
a) The names were in the magazine where he first learned about the dogs.
b) The names were carved on a tree.
c) The names were in a song his mother sang.
d) The names came to him in a dream.
17. Why did Billy need a raccoon skin?
a) for his Papa's birthday cap
b) to sell for some extra money
c) to train his pups
18. How was Billy going to catch the raccoon?
a) a bear trap
b) The raccoon would reach his hand in the tight hole on the log to retrieve the shiny tin then could not get his hand back out.
c) A wooden crate with one side raised off the ground. Once the raccoon took the fish the crate would fall on the coon trapping him.