1. The admission price for the zoo is $3 for adults and $1.50 for children betweeen the ages of 3-11. Mrs. Smith is taking her son who is in third grade and her daughter who is in first grade to the zoo. She is allowing them to each take a friend. How much admission will Mrs. Smith have to pay? How much change will she get from a ten dollar bill?
2. The admission price for seniors is $1.50. How much would the Smith children's grandmother and grandfather, who are 65 years old, have to pay to go with them to the zoo?
3. While Mary was at the zoo, she stopped at the Zootique. The Zootique was having a 10% off sale on stuffed animals. How much would Mary have to pay for a stuffed tiger that was priced at $4.99?
4. Robert wanted to buy 2 postcards to send to his friends. The postcards cost $.25 each. He would also need to buy stamps which cost $.21 each. How much would it cost Robert to send postcards to his two friends?
5. Ann and Bill stopped and bought some refreshments while they were at the zoo. Ann bought a $.50 bag of popcorn and a $.50 soda. Bob bought a $.35 pretzel and a $.50 soda. How much did they pay for the refreshments? How much change should they get from a five dollar bill?
6. The Jones family is a member of the zoo. Mr. and Mrs. Jones want to send their four kids to Summer Zoo Camp. It costs $105 dollars for each child. Mrs. Jones is writing a check to the Zoo. What will be the total amount that Mrs. Jones will have to write on the check for the camp?
If they were not members, they would have to spend $125 dollars for each child to go to the zoo camp. How much are they saving in Summer Camp fees by being members ?
7. Mrs. Fullertonís class wants to adopt a Siberian
tiger at the Brandywine Zoo. It costs $1,000 to adopt the tiger. In order
to get the money to adopt the tiger, they plan to make and sell beanie
babies for $5.00 each. After subtracting the cost of materials for the
beanie babies, they make will make a profit of $2.50 on each beanie baby
they sell. How many beanie babies do they have to sell to be able to adopt
If there are 25 students in the class, how many beanie babies should each student sell to raise $1,000?
8. A Girl Scout troop wants to adopt a Snowy Owl for $100.00 at the Brandywine Zoo. The girls are planning to sell popcorn to raise the money. It costs $0.25 for the popcorn and the other supplies. They are selling the popcorn for $0.50. How many bags of popcorn will they have to sell to be able to adopt the owl?
9. If bananas cost 40 cents per pound, and the zoo buys 50 lbs. of bananas a week for the animals, how much will the zoo spend for a one week supply? How much for a month's supply?
10. The Brandywine Zoo buys 1,000 mealworms a week for the animals. If mealworms cost $5.00 per thousand, how much do they spend for a 2 weeks supply of mealworms? How much does a one yearís supply cost?
11. The zoo is open from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., seven days a week. How many hours a week is the zoo open? How many hours a year is the zoo open?
12. The zoo charges for admission from April - October. How many months can you go to the zoo without paying any admission charge?
13. The Andean condor at the zoo has a wing span of about 10 feet. How many inches it that? Hold your arms out and have someone measure how far it is from the fingertips of your right hand to the fingertips of your left hand. How far was it? How much bigger is a condor wingspan than your reach?
14. A Siberian tiger eats around 20 pounds of food a day. How much food is that a week? a month? a year?
15. A llama is about 1.2 meters (about 4 feet) tall at the shoulder. How tall are you? How much taller or shorter than a llama are you?
16. It takes about 60-90 days for the eggs of a python to hatch. About how many months is that?
17. Pygmy goats have been domesticated by man since before 3500 BC. About how many years ago was that?
18. The Jones family arrived at the zoo at 10:30 a.m. The mother told the children they could only stay at the zoo for one and one half hours. What time does the family have to leave?
19. The Burmese python can grow to a length of 18 feet. How many inches is that?
20. The blue and yellow macaw has a wingspan of about 45 inches. The Andean condor has a wingspan of about 10 feet. How much bigger is the wingspan of the condor than the wingspan of the macaw?
answers to problems above
back to Activities