The road now known
as Monkey Hill was originally just an extension of VanBuren Street that
connected the Van Buren Street bridge with 18th Street. After the bridge
was built in 1907, a dirt road leading up the hill was made. Then in 1922-1923
the city paved the road with Belgian block.
By the 1930's people called the road "Buffalo Drive" because it was next to the fenced off area of the buffalo, elk, and deer in the Zoo. This fenced off area was located at the top of the hill along 18th Street towards Baynard Boulevard, where there are now just big trees and grass.
Then in 1938 a monkey house was built at the foot of the hill, and instead of Buffalo Drive, the road became known as Monkey Hill.
to Zoo History
back to Learn About the Zoo