1. Rome is now the capital of what country?
2. The names of the months January, February, March, April, May, and June come from __________ .
a) cities in the Roman Empire
b) Roman emperors
c) Roman gods
d) famous Roman generals
3. If spectators wanted the fighter to die they would __________ .
a) give the thumbs-down sign
b) give the thumbs-up sign
4. A Roman fighter, who was usually a prisoner who was forced to fight, was called a _________ .
5. The Ancient Romans spoke ________ .
6. How did Julius Caesar die?
a) He was murdered by rivals.
b) He died in a battle.
c) He was killed by a gladiator.
d) He fell from his horse.
7. Which of these was NOT a popular form of entertainment in Rome?
a) chariot races
b) gladiator fights
d) bull fights
8. Romulus and Remus __________ .
a) were two consuls who saved Rome from the Carthaginians
b) were two Roman generals who conquered Gaul
c) were twin brothers who were said to have formed the city of Rome
9. In 204 B. C. Hannibal went to battle on ___________ .
c) mighty war ships
10. In 73 B. C. a slave named ________ led a revolt.
a) Julius Caesar
11. During the Punic Wars the Romans fought ________ .
a) each other
b) the people of Carthage
c) the people of Spain
d) the people of Macedonia
12. What happened to Antony and Cleopatra?
a) Antony and Cleopatra killed themselves instead of facing defeat.
b) Antony and Cleopatra became the first emperors of Rome.
c) Antony and Cleopatra joined the two empires of Egypt and Rome.
d) Antony and Cleopatra ran away together and started the empire of Gaul.
13. _________ was the first emperor of the Roman Empire.
c) Julius Caesar
14. In the year 117 A.D. a great general named Hadrian became the emperor. He is famous for _________ .
a) making changes in the government.
b) defeating Antony in a sea battle off the coast of southwest Greece.
c) building a stone wall across northern Britain to keep out barbarian tribes.
d) defeating Hannibal at the palace of the King of Bithynia.
15. Around the year 300 A.D. an army general named Diocletian was declared emperor by his troops. He ____________.
a) lost a large part of the Roman Empire to barbarian tribes.
b) cheated the Romans by putting copper instead of gold in the coins.
c) appointed two co-emperors, one was in Greece at Byzantium.
16. Rome fell in ________ to the army of Alaric.
a) 200 A. D.
b) 237 A. D.
c) 175 B. C.
d) 410 A.D.
17. Romans seldom ate ________ .
18. The plebeians lived in ___________ .
b) apartment houses
c) country estates called "villas"
19. The toga went out of style because _____________ .
a) it was hard to wear with the many folds and people were cold when they wore them.
b) bulkiness and heaviness was thought to be more attractive.
c) the tight-fitting garments were hard to move in.
20. Roman children all wore bullas until marriage. What is a bulla?
a) name tags
c) birth locket
21. Which of the following items did the Romans give us?
c) 12 month calendar
d) the clock
22. Many Roman buildings used the __________ shape.
23. In Rome an enormous stadium called the ____________ was built to hold the chariot races.
a) Super Dome
d) Circus Maximus
24. The forum was __________ .
a) the marketplace and business center
b) Rome's field and track playground
c) an amphitheater
d) an enormous stadium built to hold the chariot races
25. The Aurelian Wall was built beginning in 271 A. D. around ________.