Ancient Greece Test
1. Greece is on the continent of _______ .
2. The land in Greece is ________ .
b) rolling hills
3. The Greeks built important buildings on a hill and called it the _________ .
a) court house
4. The acropolis was used for __________________ .
a) restaurants, ruler's home, and parties
b) theaters, stores, and churches
c) religious festival, banks, and fortress
5. _____ was the main Olympian god.
6. The Greeks believed in ____________ .
a) one god
b) many gods
7. Greeks traveled by land a lot.
8. The Greek city-states did not want to be ruled by the Persians.
9. The Greeks won all the battle against the Persians.
10. Darius I fought the Greeks at Marathon and won.
11. Xerxes fought the Spartans at Thermoplae an won.
12. The Persians fought the Athenians in a bloody sea battle and won.
13. King Phillip was a stupid leader.
14. Alexander the Great was carrying out his father's plan when he invaded Persia.
15. The Athenians had the best ______ .
16. The Spartans attacked the Athenians because they took money from the ships and used it to __________ .
a) build their own acropolis
b) feed the poor
c) buy land
17. The Spartans won the war by ___________ .
a) killing every Athenian
b) cutting off the Athenians' food supply
c) tearing down the acropolis
18. Which of the following was NOT a type of government used by the city states?
a) democracy with president
c) priest ruler
d) family king
19. Beginning in about 775 B. C. the people of Greece began holding athletic games every four year in the city of __________ .
20. The winners of the Olympic games won _________ .
b) olive wreaths
21. _________ was a famous Greek poet who wrote the Iliad and Odyssey.
22. The Greeks won the Trojan War by getting inside the walls of Troy in a ___________ .
23. Odysseus took _________ to get home.
a) two days
b) one week
c) ten years
24. The Odyssey is about Odysseus' adventures on his way home after the _________ .
a) attack at Sparta
b) Olympic Games
c) Persian War
d) Trojan War
25. The people of Athens were the first to believe in __________ .
a) tyrant rule
b) democracy rule
c) aristocratic rule
26. The Greeks built large ________ which could hold 14,000 people.
b) swimming pools