Cause and Effect
One of the Keys to Successful Reading
1. Steven Brown is in the 6th grade at Taylor County Middle School. He is an intelligent student, but one night Steven stayed up too late and he knew he had a test the next day. When he took his test at school he failed it. What was the cause of Steven failing his test?
A. He didn't try at all.
B. He didn't know about the test.
C. He stayed up too late.
2. Ronnie had a dog named Shane. Shane is fun to play with. One day Ronnie was playing with Shane and the ball went across the street. Shane ran into the street and got hit by a car. When Ronnie got to Shane he was injured with a broken leg. What was the effect of Shane getting hit by the car?
A. He died.
B. He was injured with a broken leg.
C. The car wrecked.
3. Tammy was in her backyard climbing a tree. She climbed to the middle part of the tree. Before she knew what had happened, bees were swarming all around and over her. Tammy let out a blood curdling yell. What do you think was the effect of Tammy hitting the nest?
A. Bees stung her.
B. The nest fell.
C. Some of the bees died.
4. Mrs. Johnson works at a bakery. She is a nice, but elderly lady, who really needs to retire from the bakery. One Monday afternoon Robert went to the bakery after school to order a cake for his mom's wedding. Robert needed the cake on Thursday afternoon by 3:00 P. M. Mrs. Johnson said she would have it ready for him. On Tuesday she started making the cake but she put too much flour in the cake and it rose up too much in the middle. Mrs. Johnson started over making the cake. This time she put too much sugar in the cake and it cracked right down the middle. Finally, by Thursday morning, Mrs. Johnson had the cake ready to decorate. As she was picking it up to place it on the table where she decorated her cakes, she almost dropped it on the floor. What do you think was the cause of Mrs. Johnson having so much trouble with the cake?
B. The weather was making the dough separate.
C. Mrs. Johnson was really too old to still be working in the bakery.
5. Shawn Falco is the quarterback for the Washington Wantabees. He is a great quarterback. January 1, 2002 the Wantabees played against the Milwaukee Willabees. The Wantabees were losing 10 to 14. It was 4th down and 3 yards to go with 4 seconds left on the clock. Shawn hiked the ball but he dropped it. This cost them the game. What was the effect of Shawn dropping the ball?
A. They lost the game.
B. He got hurt.
C. He got fired.
6. David Green is a man who works at a zoo. He helps train the animals for shows. He mostly works with chimps, tigers, and lions. He is a great trainer. David was woking with a tiger to teach it how to jump through a ring of fire. Two days later the tiger learned how to jump trough a ring of fire. David was finished, so he was going to put the tiger into its cage. David forgot to lock the gate, so the tiger got out. What was the cause of the tiger getting out?
A. The lock broke.
B. The tiger jumped out.
C. David forgot to lock the gate.
7.a. Henry James is a basketball player for the Orlando TwirlyBirds. Henry is a great player. He got sick one morning, so he missed his game. Orlando lost because they didn't have their key player who was Henry. What was the effect of Henry getting sick?
A. He missed his game.
B. His team was upset with him.
C. He had to have surgery.
7.b. What was the cause of Orlando losing the game?
A. They were tired.
B. They didn't make it in time.
C. They didn't have their key player.
8. Frank Jones is a man who loves to go fishing. One Saturday afternoon Frank went fishing and caught a humongous fish. However, it got away because he didn't tie the string tight enough and it broke.What was the cause of the fish getting away?
A. The string wasn't tight enough and it broke.
B. The hook broke.
C. A screw came out of the rod.