Key Facts on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome:
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is caused when mothers drink during pregnancy and cause permanat
- No amout of alcohol is safe to drink during pregnancy.
- FAS is the biggest cause of mental retardation in North America, Canada and South
- It is totally preventable if mothers don't drink during pregnancy.
- There are more people in the world at the moment with FAS than AIDS/HIV. There are three
to five times more.
- Since 1973, the medical profession has know that drinking alcohol during pregnancy
impedes fetal development.
- One in eight children in the US has FAS.
- People with FAS have distinctive facial features and lower IQ's, but have lower crime
and addiction rates.
FAS?\International FAS day\The care of FAS babies\Puzzle Page