- South Africa has the highest incidence of TB in the
world. Two in three people are infected.
- Nine in ten people in the Western Cape have TB
- 160, 000 people get sick with TB every year.
- TB kills more adults annually than any other
- 3.5 million new TB cases are expected by 2005 if
current trends continue.
- About 10 000 people die of TB every year.
- Over 2, 000 people got sick with multidrug-resistant
TB in 1996.
- About 20 % of all TB patients are “treatment
interrupters” and are at risk of developing multidrug-resistant TB.