The Benefits of Participation
The values of participation in volleyball are numerous. Most people play the game for their enjoyment and relaxation. It is a non-contact activity that is easily played by men and women.
Volleyball is a team game in which each skill is dependent upon the preceding action of a teammate. Because of the mandatory rotation of team members, no complete specialization of
positions is possible, and an individual must possess a variety of skills.
The game also has some practical and economic benefits. Its popularity is in part due to the ease with which the net height, number of players and court size may be modified to fit a
variety of participant needs. The equipment is inexpensive and limited. The game may also be played inside or outside.
Emotional development is enhanced by the social interaction
between participants in volleyball. Being a part of a group with a common goal raises self-esteem and confidence. Integrity and character are developed through the acceptance of officials'
decisions and a personal responsibility to others playing on the same team.
Physical development is one of the most important benefits of volleyball. Even though volleyball is considered an anaerobic activity, play is continuous, requiring movement of large muscle
groups for short periods of time. Such physical activity is helpful in the maintenance of muscle tone and in the expenditure of calories.
Volleyball involves skills that can be transferred easily to and from other sports. Vertical jumping ability, lateral movement, the ready position, and striking skills are just a few examples
of volleyball skills used in other sports. It develops overall body condition, as well as contributing to the five components of physical fitness:
- STRENGTH is necessary for the vertical jumping ability of the attack and block
- SPEED, as used in the quick movement of various body parts, is coupled with strength to produce power
- BALANCE is evident in the static balance used for the ready positions and in the dynamic balance required for the attack and block
- FLEXIBILITY is necessary for the reaching movements and for the quick changes of direction required within such a small court area
- ENDURANCE is necessary for the repetitive muscular movements during continuous play. Thus, in addition to providing enjoyment and pleasure, volleyball can serve as healthful exercise for its participants.
See also Fitness for further information.
There are many opportunities for play and officiating in volleyball. Summer camps, recreation leagues, corporate leagues, scholastic leagues, and volleyball clubs provide
competitive play and officiating experiences. Variations of volleyball, such as beach, doubles, triples, and wallyball (combination of racquetball and volleyball skills) make it
possible for participation in some form of the name.