Chinese medicine is a wonderful part of Chinese culture and is being slowly accepted by foreigners. By using natural plants, herbs, etc.. and based on thousands of years of research and studies, Chinese medicine can have effects that Western medicine cannot. The following will briefly mention about the development of Chinese medicine.
Click here to learn about what diseases Chinese medicine can cure.
- During this period, many fine doctors appeared and the art of medicine advanced rapidly.
- The book Huangdi Neijing is China's earliest surviving account of medical science. It is one of the foundations of China's modern medical science.
- Famous books during this period include Yifang Jing from West Han, ShenNong Benzao Jing from East Han.
- Famous doctors include East Han's Zhang Zhongjing and Hua Tuo.
- Zhang Zhongjing's book, Shanghan Zabing Lun gave the foundation to Modern Chinese Medical Science.
- Zhang Zhongjing was called by the people as the "The Saint of Medicine" and Hua Tuo was called "The God of Medicine".
- famous for the practice of pediatrics, obstetrics and acupunture.
- doctore Song Ci wrote the first book of forensic science.
- Discrimination and explanaiton of the cause of death of the dead were all noted in this book.
- Shen Kuo's book summarised the current medical achievement in the form of an encyclopedia.
In the field of medicine, Li Shizhen wrote the
famous book, Compendium of Materia Medica, a masterpiece of
pharmacology of the Ming Dynasty. It had 1,900,000 words, recorded
1892 kinds of medicine, 11,094 prescriptions, treating methods of 177
common diseases, and 1160 figures.