China once was very advanced in mathematics. The following few paragraphs will describe some of these advanced discoveries, inventions, etc..
- China is world's first country to make paper. Before West Han, there were two types of paper
- A paper with maps excavated from Gansu is world's first known paper. AD 105, Cai Lun improved the art of paper making. His paper, which was suitable for writing, was made from bark, cloth, fish net, etc.. This paper was later called "The Paper of Cai".
- The improvement in paper making made evolution in writing materials. This art slowly spread to many other countries.
Gunpowder and Printing
- earliest country to invent printing and gunpowder
- During the Sui-Tang period, biblical texts, calender and books were printed
- AD 868, of biblical text of Jin Gang (Jin Gang Jing) was world's earliest printed material that was dated
- During mid-Tang, books recorded directions for making gunpowder
- late-Tang, gunpowder was used in military conquests
- Song dynasty, Bi sheng invented the clay type printing by building on the foundation of his families. This technology travelled to Korea, Japan, Egypt and Europe. The invention of European printing type was 4 centuries later than Bi Sheng's invention.
- The compass was much in use during the Song Dynasty. In the 13th century, the technology travelled from China to Arab and European countries. When used in navigation, it surmounted the difficulties of sea voyages. It helped to promote the the development of exchange between foreign countires.