China once had very advanced astronomical technology. The following few paragraphs will describe some of these advanced discoveries, inventions, etc..
- During the reins of Emperor Wu, astronomers created the first relatively complete calender -- The Calender of Sun.
- Zhang Heng, one of the most famous scientists in Chinese history, gave the earliest explanation of moon eclipse.
- Zhang Heng invented world's first armilary sphere made of bronze and the first machine that was able to detect the direction of earthquakes. His earthquake detector was earlier than the one made by Europeans by 1700 years.
- BC 28, West Han's record of Sun's black spots is World's earliest record.
- During Sui, Liu Kun wrote the calender of Huangji (Huangji Li), established a new method for calculating the path and movement of the sun and moon. This was world's most advanced method at the time.
- During Tang, Zeng Yixing, based on the Huangji Li, wrote a book that more accurately reflected the law of sun's movement
- Yixing was the founder of the scientific method that measured Earth's meridian.
- New Methods of
Xiao'en by astronomer Wang Xichan improved upon certain methods of
calculation in astronomy.