Culture -- Qin Dynasty
Politics, Economy and Culture Advancements
Click on the names to hear how they are pronounced
- Gave the ultimate power to the emperor -- Heaven's son
- Created a tree-shape government that has a central government controled by the ultimate person -- the emperor. In the central government, many new positions are created such as the prime minister. Before Qin, the emperor named many kings and aristocrats helping him to rule the empire. Qin discarded such rules.
- The entire empire has to follow the laws created by the Central Government.
- Writing was unified. The font of Xiao Zhuan was named the standard font and was ordered to be used by the entire empire. The unification of the writing system helped in unifying an empire with many ethnic groups and in advancing its culture.
- The Qin started the first Wen Ziyu -- which was the crime of burning books and killing scholars in an attempt to quiet them and strengthen the belief in the central government. This act were to be followed in every dynasty and many scholars were afraid to say what they wanted to say. Many innocent people died and many good books burned in this crime.
- Began to teach laws. The government forbade any self-learning and allowed teaching to be conducted by officers in the government only.
- Land is not owned by the government but by an individual. Taxes are collected by acres.
- Measurements unified -- eased trading.
- Currency unified.
- Traffic rules unified.