Here are different meanings of the word "etiquette" and how
we understand this notion.
- "the formal rules of proper behaviour" (Active study dictionary of English,1988).
- "prescribed rules of behavior in society" (Webster's dictionary,1991).
- established procedure of behaviour.
- a ritual, a ceremony.
- the set of rules of behavior, treatment, which are accepted
among people of the certain social range.
- "the rules of conduct, action or practice binding
on members of a profession (as medicine or law)
especially in their relations with one another" (Webster's Third New International
The World Book Encyclopaedia 2000
introduces etiquette as being "a code of behavior
that helps people get along with each other."
Etiquette "is not just rules for proper dress or table
setting", it covers a "wide range of behavior...and
changes and adapts with societal changes."