About The Water Ways Of Venice
The Coasts of Venice
There are many splendid beaches, long lanes, rich restaurants and famous hotels in Venice. There is transparent sea around. The tourists are also attracted by municipal casino and palace of cinematography, where every year international festivals of feature films take place.
The Big Channel
The Big Channel is the main water avenue in Venice. It has a form of the turned over latin letter S and the length is 4 km, it crosses the city, joining the railway station with the St. Marks square. The maximum depth of the channel is nearly 5 m and the average width is 50 m. At the beginning of the Big Channel on the left, there situated a baroque church deli Scalci. Through the channel erected bridge Ponte deli Scalci, built in 1934, its height is a height of the same name church. On the left side a little bit farther from the bridge the channel Cannaredjio begins. Hereinafter on the right there is Turkish coaching inn - Fondako dei Turki, named so because there were placed the merchants from the Orient. Design in venetian-byzantine stile of XIII century, vaguely reminds the architectural structure of the Palace of Doges. Cities museum is placed in this building. Passing the church of the St. Stae, on the right side on the coast there is the Palace of the family of Pezaro, built by Baldassarre Longena in XVII century, with massive foundation and two portals, it is tiled with the stone; there placed a gallery of Modern art and museum of East cultures. Hereinafter on the right there is Ca'd'Oro (Gold house), gothic building, built by the project of Bartolomeo Bon and Mateo de'Raveti (XV century), in the fantastic venetian stile of XV century. Its facade is decorated with the windows, open-worked arches and tines. Palace name derives from the gilding, with the help of which the facade was decorated; presently there is placed the Gallery Francetti, it keeps the works of Bellini, Titian, Carpaccio, Gvardi.
Passing the bridge Rialto, on the left side of the coast of Big Channel towers one after another palaces Palazzo Loredan and Palazzo Farcetti, the Middle Ages buildings in venetian-byzantine stile. A little bit farther there is the palace Grimani of XVI century, built by the project of Sammiceli. Continuing the way, channel turns first to the left, but then to the right, where a stylish gothic facade of palace Ca'Foscari (XV century) rises with three roofed galleries, laminated on each other. After the turning of the channel there is a palace Redzonico, where is placed a museum of the mode of life of Venice of XVIII century; opposite - a palace Grassi (XVIII century). After the bridge of Academy, built in 1930 of the wood with the internal metallic structure, on the right tower buildings, in which situated a Gallery of Academy. Hereinafter palace Corner (Ca'Grande), built by the architect Iacopo Tatti on the nickname «Sansovino» in 1535 for Iacopo Corner. During the rule of the longobards there was placed the residence of the Austrian deputy, today there is a Prefecture. On the right, the quay ends by a church della Salute and an Arrow of the custom-house, built in XVII century, where before XV century goods, delivered by the sea, were taxed by the duty; on the left side there is a breakwater of St. Mark.
Venice towers on piles, drived into the bottom of the lagoon for the fortification of isles on which the buildings were built. The sea, which was a symbol of economic and political power of the city, but not once subjected it to dangers. Unexpected interleaving of tides ebb-tides, frantic sea storms often threatened to the lagoon city: the memory of the tide of 1966, which called in a question of existence of the city, is still alive. Inhabitants of city already got accustomed to often reiterative phenomena of nature - a tide, named in Venice «aqua alto» and have learned to carry all difficulties not dramatising it. «Aqua alto» adds the city a beautiful appearance. Water usually floods the square of St. Mark, reaching depths exceeding one and a half of a metre. It is sometimes presented possible to see a gondola on the square or even under the colonnade.