About The Palaces Of Venice
The Palace of the Doges
This building is very elegant and light with the lancet arched gallery and with the opened worked loggia on it, decorated on the upper floor by marble rhombuses of white and rose tone, was erected in the IX century and intended for residences of doges. The building was remade several times, and in the contest on its reconstruction took part such famous architects as Dalle Mazenie, Rizzo da Ponte. This type the building has gained in the XVI century. Inside there are the most beautiful salons with the original registration, furniture, pictures and sculptures. Balconies of the facades, leaving on the breakwater, were made by Dalle Mazenie, 1404, and leaving on Piazzetta, the work of Sansovino, 1536. Through richly decorated entry, named Porta della Carta (The Gates of Papers) the work of the masters Bon (1442), we get into the internal yard, where there are two beautiful parapets with bronze wells (XVI century); on the left in the yard there is a roofed gallery Foscati; in adjoining yard of Senators rises on the first floor a stairway of Giants (XV century). On the upper platform of the main stairways were made solemn ceremonies of crowning the doges, after their election; this ceremony was conducted Bon (1442), we get into the internal yard, where there are two beautiful parapets with bronze wells (XVI century); on the left in the yard there is a roofed gallery Foscati; in adjoining yard of Senators rises on the first floor a stairway of Giants (XV century). On the upper platform of the main stairways were made solemn ceremonies of crowning the doges, after their election; this ceremony was conducted with people and VIPs of republic, there also were receptions of ambassadors and outstanding guests. On the first floor a number of greater common-rooms begins, decorated mainly, in XVI century masterpieces of masters of venetian painting; amongst main common-rooms it is necessary to mention the common-rooms of Pinacoteki, a part of which was the personal apartments of doges, which keep the Boskha; The Common-room of four doors, with frescoes of Tintoretto and linen of Titian, expressing doge Antonio Grimani, admirated before the Faith; The Common-room of Board with the beautiful ceiling, decorated by Veroneze; The Common-room of Senate with the work of Tintoretto (on the ceiling Venice the Queen of the Sea); The Common-room of Council of Ten, where there the magistrates met, which investigated affairs, concerning political crimes, committed against the state; The Common-room of Bussola. In the foreground there is a double door, named Bussola, from which the hall takes its name. Here the accused in crimes, committed against the Republic, expected their sentences; The Common-rooms of Weapon: there is a rich collection of weapon.
Before the beginning of XIV century these premises where the prison, but then adapted for keeping weapon. The collection consists of weapons of past ages: swords, copies, halberds, archebooses; here were kept panoplies and two armours of Genri the IV, of the king of France, belonged to the family of Sforca, archeboose with twenty stems and bronze bust of Francesco Morozini; The Common-room of Big Council, the length of which is 54 m, the width - 25 m and the height - 15,4 m, was ruined during the fire in 1577 and reconstructed by Antonio da Ponte. Picturesque works, which decorate the hall and glorifying the Venetian republic, were created on the subject, prompted by florence scientific Djirolamo de‘Bardi and venetian historian F. Sansovino. Under the tribune there is a grandiose linen of Tintoretto - Paradise; on the ceiling - The Triumph of Venice, the work of Paolo Veroneze, this big oval picture with the striking theatrical effect; The Common-room della Scrutino ( of Voting). The hall was reconstructed by Antonio da Ponte after the fire of 1577.
The Gallery of Academy
In 1750 the Academy of painters and sculptors was founded. It was situated in Dzardinetti (the gardens) of St.Mark, which was leaded by Dz. B. Piazetta and after six years Tiepolo changed him. At the end of XVIII century the academy was replaced into the abbey of Carite (of charity) on the Big channel, where it is situated now. By the time the Academy was occupieded not only with educational work, but also it becomes a real gallery.
In the big first salon different of works of venitian painters of XIV century are situated:"The coronation of Virgo Maria" (Pado Veniciano); "Entry into marriage of St.Katherina" and "Annunciation" (Lorenzo Veniciano); "Madonna of the charity" and "The coronation of Virgo Maria in paradise" (Iacobello del Fiore); "Madonna with the Infant" in the style of XV century by Antonio Vavirini.
In the hall II there are canvaces of China da Coneliano: "Saint conversation" and "Madonna with an onrange"; and the work Marko Bazaiti: "Vocation of the sons of Zevedeia".
In the hall III-"Saint Conversation" which is thought to be the work of Cebastiano del Piombo.
In the other halls there are the works of Tintoretto, Bordone, Titian, Palma, Tiepolo and the others.