prevention >>> campaigns >>> media and prevention >>>
MEDIA AND PREVENTION
Informing the society using media has many advantages. This seems to be the only way to communicate with groups of people they otherwise can't. There is no other method to reach such a big audience. But, after all this is a one-way communication only and the audience has a very little chance of answering or asking other questions too.
Education using media increases the knowledge of the audience, doesn't at once cause change in behavior and attitude to drugs. The success of media campaigns for prevention depends very much on the way they are executed. These are the most important principles:
1. As they do also in normal advertising, first the type of the audience must be determined; educational messages about drugs must be shown in the proper time for this particular audience
2. Private networks must also join the campaigns against drugs. This can be achieved with a law, which obliges them to spare time and resources for these campaigns
3. These messages must be broadcast as often as a normal advertisement
4. There must be many and different messages
5. When it is possible, famous and respected people must participate in the campaigns. They can be musicians, athletes, actors, etc.
The efficiency of a media campaign can be much bigger, if before or after it there are enough debates. The chance of learning the others' viewpoints, lets people better understand the messages.