Beryllium metal is available commercially and would never, under normal conditions, be made in a laboratory. Its extraction from ores is very complex. It is heated gradually to the very high temperature of 7000 C with sodium hexafluorosilicate, Na2SiF6. This procedure forms beryllium fluoride. This is water soluble and the beryllium may be precipitated as the hydroxide Be(OH)2 by changing the pH indicator.
Beryllium metal dust can cause major lung damage, and beryllium salts are very toxic. Compounds containing beryllium are very poisonous and only to be handled by a professional under controlled conditions. One way for beryllium into the biosphere is by way of industrial smoke. It seems that some types of camping gas mantle may cause problems as a consequence of their beryllium content.