|The A-Bomb Monument of the Hiroshima Munucupal
Girls'High School is erected on the greenbelt
at the western edge of the Peace Bridge.
The deaths of the first and second year studens
of this school, who were mobilized for the
demo-lition of buildings, has been descibedin
the paragraph on the monument to Zaimoku-cho.
This monument was originally erected on yhe
campus of their school in 1948, but when
their school was eliminated because of changes
in the school system, it was moved to its
present location on June 20, 1957.|
The monument conssists of a 1.77- meter-high block of stone with the image of a high school girl in her working unifofrm engraved on the front. It was designed by the sculptor Kenyu Kouchiyama. On one side of the student a friend is offering a wreath of flowers, symbolizing reverence for her memory, on the other side a friend is offering a dove, symbolizing peace. The student in the center is holding a box with "E=MC2" engraved on it, symbolizing atomic energy.
On the back of the stone there is a poem by Zoroko Miyagawa who was principal of the school at the time of the bombing.
Return to "Tour of Peace Monuments"'s Top Page